[time-nuts] Ron Bracewell, SK

Tom Clark, K3IO tom.k3io at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 03:40:41 UTC 2007

   Many of you know of Ron Bracewell, the Australian Radio Astronomer. I
   have just learned of his passing at age 86; details can be read at
   [1]http://news-service.stanford.edu/pr/2007/pr-bracewell-082207.html.
   Ron's profession credentials at Stanford are summarized on his personal
   web page at [2]http://www-star.stanford.edu/people/bracewell.html
   I met Ron as a young radio astronomer in the early 1960's, shortly
   after he came to the US. He taught me about the beauty of the Fourier
   Transform, and I have been forever in his debt since that first
   encounter.Many of you have heard me refer to his McGraw-Hill textbook,
   "The Fourier Transform and its Applications"
   ([3]ISBN-13:978-0070070158, see this entry on Amazon.com)as THE bible
   to be learned and revered by anyone thinking about topics like antenna
   arrays, image processing, holography, XRAY & MRI tomography, and ...
   that share the Fourier Transform as their foundation.
   Ron also was active in philosophical discussions about SETI (see, for
   example
   [4]http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/B/BracewellR.html); be
   sure to read his 1975 book The Galactic Club.
   Rest well, Ron. Your genius profoundly affected many lives!
   Tom Clark