[time-nuts] time-nuts and Seiko watches...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 1 16:10:03 UTC 2007

I don't know if this is of any value in this case, but a friend of
mine once told me about picking up the oscillator in his watch with a
coil and feeding it into a receiver.  He was then able to beat the
watch frequency against a standard and adjust the watch's oscillator
to "zero beat".  He knew what the frequency was supposed to be but
I've forgotten.  He claims it was quite accurate after that but not
like having a cesium beam strapped to his back.

Burt, K6OQK

At 06:48 AM 12/1/2007, you wrote:
>Subject: [time-nuts] Frequency trimming of Seiko wristwatches
>To: time-nuts at febo.com
>
>Max Robinson wished for a way to open up wrist-watches
>and adjust the crystal trimmer.
>
>I have owned at least two Seiko wrist watches which
>had a simple to open screw-on back.  I opened the back
>and tweaked the trimmer capacitor on both of them using
>the ticks from WWV as a reference.  After watching for
>a month to see which way the drift was, I re-tweaked
>several times.  Ultimately, the best I could achieve
>was around +/- a few seconds per month.  The problem appeared
>to be one of temperature compensation-- seconds gained
>or lost per month were different in the winter months
>as opposed to the summer months.  These particular Seiko
>wristwatches had a tiny o-ring to seal them against
>moisture and I had no problems with leakage.
>
>Mike Baker
>Micanopy, FL USA

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services