[time-nuts] FPGA protobards (was Re: Of rubidiumlifeandpiggy-bank anemia....)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Dec 1 20:47:07 UTC 2007

> Right; 'program' was a poor choice of words.  My concern was more
> about how to get data off the board.  I know it's customary to use a
> separate JTAG connection for programming, but if you can do both
> through the USB port, it seems like an obvious way to go.

Beware.  At least some of the FPGA boards with a USB connector only use it
for programming and power.  The USB signals usually go into a tiny micro.  It
knows how to program the FPGA but there isn't any simple way to use it as a
data path.

I could easily have missed something wonderful on newer board.  I do remember
being surprised when I figured that out the first time.