[time-nuts] Watches

Max Robinson max at maxsmusicplace.com
Sun Dec 2 04:06:16 UTC 2007

I once saw one of the original machines used for adjusting balance wheel
watches.  It used an audio frequency tuning fork oscillator and a series of
count downs to drive a drum at the rate the watch ticked.  The watch was
placed on top of a microphone that picked up its ticks and caused a pen to
ink a paper chart on the drum.  The pen moved along the axis of the drum at
a constant rate.  The slope of the line showed how many seconds a watch
would gain or loose in 24 hours.  I wonder if you could use an induction
coil to pick up the 32678 Hz from the quartz oscillator and trim it up.
Only in an older watch, I guess.

Regards.

Max.  K 4 O D S.

Email: max at maxsmusicplace.com