[time-nuts] Watches

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Tue Dec 4 00:22:14 UTC 2007

> Real tuning form Accutrons are collectibles now, and it is not
> unheard of for
> an unscrupulous watchmaker to steal the movement out of one, and
> replace it with
> a cheap quartz movement, all in the name of doing the watch's owner
> a favor.

Not just unscrupulous watchmakers, that's what happens if you send
your watch back to Bulova for repair!

If you know enough to include a note saying do not replace, they
return it untouched, as they no longer service the tuning fork
movements (I imagine they would put in a battery and new o-rings for
the case, but anyone can do that, so why risk a possible error?).

There are now folks who specialize in repairing these nifty pieces of
technological ephemera.

I understand the weak point in the design is the 300 tooth escape
wheel which rides the tuning fork.  Fragile teeth.

Tom Frank