[time-nuts] Watches - the china connection

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Dec 4 21:01:29 UTC 2007

Hi Bill,

I guess it depends on what you think it is that the market is
desiring.

There is little or no apparent interest in a newly manufactured
Bulova Accutron Spaceview watch.  Modern Quartz watches have
long since eclipsed the Accutron's claim to fame (Accuracy,
no wind, freedom from positional variations...).  The Spaceview
was a very basic watch.  It had no calendar, no alarms, nothing
but a second hand, minute hand and hour hand, and a window to
peek through at the inner workings.

But, the market has a great interest in original, and NOS
original, Bulova Accutron Spaceview watches.  The Spaceview is
about the only Accutron model that commands a high price.

So, when some Chinese company builds parts that allow one to make
a non-Spaceview watch appear to be a Spaceview watch, with the
apparent intent of facilitating fraud, I think there is little
to admire.

-Chuck Harris