[time-nuts] Watches - the china connection

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Tue Dec 4 22:34:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:01:29 -0500, Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com> wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>
>I guess it depends on what you think it is that the market is
>desiring.
>
>There is little or no apparent interest in a newly manufactured
>Bulova Accutron Spaceview watch.  Modern Quartz watches have
>long since eclipsed the Accutron's claim to fame (Accuracy,
>no wind, freedom from positional variations...).  The Spaceview
>was a very basic watch.  It had no calendar, no alarms, nothing
>but a second hand, minute hand and hour hand, and a window to
>peek through at the inner workings.

All that's what made it so wonderful.  It did one thing very well.  I STILL miss the
hum of that watch under my pillow....  I'll just bet that there would be enough of a
market for SpaceViews to make a manufacturing run worthwhile.  I'd certainly buy one.

>So, when some Chinese company builds parts that allow one to make
>a non-Spaceview watch appear to be a Spaceview watch, with the
>apparent intent of facilitating fraud, I think there is little
>to admire.

Is that what they're doing or are they just satisfying the desire of a lot of us to
have another SpaceView-like watch?  I couldn't care less if one was made in 1967 or
2007.  I'd just like to have another one.  If I could pick up some other Accutron at
an estate sale, then change out the dial and stuff to make it look like a SpaceView
then I'd be as happy as a clam in sauce.  To me, it would only be fraud if I tried to
pass it off as an authentic antique.

John
--
John De Armond