[time-nuts] HP 8566B repair

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Dec 7 04:09:25 UTC 2007

I don't think much of the idea of shotgun-replacing these particular caps.
There are a great many of them, they're not *that* unreliable, and unlike
the notorious radial-lead tantalums, they tend to fail open, not shorted, so
they're unlikely to damage other parts when they fail.

On the other hand there are definite risks, from ESD to human error,
associated with unsoldering and resoldering a bunch of parts unnecessarily.

Just be prepared to open it up once every couple of years to track down the
next one.  Nothing to be afraid of inside the 8566s.  You could rebuild the
whole thing from scratch with HP's docs, if you had to.

-- john, KE5FX