[time-nuts] Super stable BVA Quartz resonators... BVA??

Enrico Rubiola rubiola at femto-st.fr
Sat Dec 8 00:15:00 UTC 2007

BVA is a French acronym, it means
Besson Vieillissement Amelioré
Reymond Besson is the scientist who invented it, here in Besancon,
a friend of mine, officially retired, yet still at work.
"Vieillissement" means aging,
"Amelioré" means improved.

Somebody says that it also means "Besson vieux âne", if you
know French, and French culture because this is not the kind
of thing you can translate without killing the meaning.

On 7 Dec 2007, at 17:15 , Michael Baker wrote:

> Hello, All--
>
> In doing some reading to educate myself on the relative
> short and long-term stability characteristics of the best
> grade quartz resonators, I find that BVA cut resonators
> are on the leading edge of quartz crystal technology.
>
> I have found out how a BVA resonator is fabricated, but
> I have not discovered what the acronym "BVA" stands for.
>
> I suspect that the "B" in "BVA" may refer to Raymond Besson
> the discoverer of the BVA quartz resonator, but I
> have not been able to confirm that.
>
> Can anyone on the list shed some light on this?
>
> Mike Baker
> time-nuts
> and follow the instructions there.

Enrico Rubiola