[time-nuts] is there a "best bet" advanced hobbyist buildable GPSDO design?

Scott Burris slburris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:34:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

Like many, I've acquired a fair amount of surplus test equipment off of Ebay
which could use the services of good master frequency standard.  So I'm
looking to discipline an HP 10811 VXCO to provide this.

Any general consensus about the best design for a hobbyist to build?
I'm familiar with the Brooks Shera design, the G4JNT Jupiter-T design,
the TAC-2 circuit, and the VE2ZAZ design.  I take it from discussions
I've seen in the archives of this list that the VE2ZAZ design makes a
number of simplification/performance tradeoffs.

Is there a design I haven't listed which is "better" than the others?
I'm quite familiar with microcontrollers, FPGAs, spinning my own
PCBs, etc, so I'll roll my own if I have to, but I'd prefer to build
a variation on someone's tried and true design.

I'm aware of products like the Fury, but I'd like something I could tinker
with, and the cost is hard to justify for a hobbyist.

Scott