[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Dec 11 20:08:39 UTC 2007

In a message dated 12/11/2007 11:41:02 Pacific Standard Time,
eric.fort at gmail.com writes:

>I'm  looking for a fairly basic, relatively simple 10 Mhz PORTABLE
>reference  (probably quartz based) with enough stability over a period
>of a week  of outdoor temp extremes to keep a 47Ghz transmitter locked
>within  100hz  while mountaintop contesting.  Suggestions  are
>appreciated.  something that is small and ran off 12 volts dc  (car
>battery) would be a definite  plus.

>Thanks,

>Eric

Hi Eric,

if my math is correct, you will need about 26.3 microseconds holdover
performance per day to achieve that requirement.

A good (and well-aged) double-oven OCXO with aging compensation should be
able to provide that type of performance. The problem is: how much physical
movement will the unit experience? What are the temperature extremes that are
expected, and how fast does the ambient move between the temp extremes? Can it
be GPS locked during that time?

Our Fury double-oven OCXO GPSDO may be a bit expensive for this  application,
but if you can keep it within the 0C to 70C temperature range of  the OCXO
(by proper thermal shielding) then it would fulfill all of  your needs.

The electronics themselves are rated to operate down to -20C, so only the
OCXO needs attention to be well shielded thermally so as to keep it
self-heating at a comfortable temperature.

Aging in holdover is typically better than 7 microseconds per day at room
temp, and it runs from a Lead Acid car battery, all the way down to 11.0V.

If you can use a GPS antenna, the performance would be better than your
requirement of course.

Expect it to draw about 5W, depending on temperature, so a typical 80Ah
battery (derated for low temperature to say 40Ah) would last about 40Ah/0.45A =
3.7 days to 7.4 days depending on the performance of the Pb battery. But you
should really use a marine deep-discharge battery, your car batt may die when
deep-discharged, especially at low temp.

At low temperatures Pb batt's have much lower voltage than at room temp, so
you will need to be able to go down to <12.0V.

A small solar array (2W to 5W) and a bit of sun may extend that  operating
time significantly.

bye,
Said