[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Dec 11 20:41:45 UTC 2007

> A good (and well-aged) double-oven OCXO with aging compensation should
> be able to provide that type of performance. The problem is: how
> much physical movement will the unit experience? What are the
> temperature extremes that are expected, and how fast does the
> ambient move between the temp extremes? Can it be GPS locked during
> that time?

Assuming you don't GPS lock it...

How well will two units from the same manufacturer/batch track?

I'm assuming they will see roughly the same temperature profile and that you
start with them running at the same frequency.

Has anybody made a triple oven setup?  I'm thinking of a big box with a few
holes and a temperature controlled fan.  The idea is to let the oven (and
electronics) keep itself warm when the ambient temperature gets very cold.

I'm picturing an open hill top at night with clear skies so there would be
lots of radiation cooling.  Of course, with an open hill top, GPS recption
would be easy.