[time-nuts] is there a "best bet" advanced hobbyist buildable GPSDOdesign?

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 01:16:31 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 3:53 PM, Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> If you want simplicity and higher performance you can do far better with
> fewer parts,
> An expensive high resolution DAC can be replaced with a software
> sigma-delta DAC that has higher resolution.
> The complex phase detector can be replaced with a D flipflop.
> Add a microprocessor plus an opamp or 2 to filter and scale the EFC
> voltage and thats about all thats required in addition to a good GPS
> timing receiver.
> For improved performance a hardware circuit to correct the PPS sawtooth
> error will improve the medium term stability significantly when using a
> high performance GPS timing receiver that provides an estimate of this
> error.

You have made similar comments about I believe the same approach in
the past. I was wondering if you have ever sketched out a schematic,
even if only rough. Perhaps with a few suggested components to try
(i.e. DAC, Op-Amp) that would be a good starting point for anyone who
wanted to prototype and evaluate the performance of this approach.

It is beyond my elementary design abilities to convert your
description into a well implemented design on my own, but I would be
interested in try to at least see if I could construct an unit using
these suggested techniques.

-Michael