[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz referenceoscilator

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Wed Dec 12 03:07:20 UTC 2007

SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> a Rubidium would take about 15 to 20 Watts, and they don't  usually work at
> 12V battery voltage typically.
>
> At 20 Watts we would consume 1.67A at 12V, so a (large) 80Ah car batt would
> only last two days in best conditions at room temperature.
>
> If we add the OCXO power and low battery temperatures, then we are probably
> down to 20 to 24 hours of operation or so.
>
> BTW: interestingly Lead battery capacity is also related to discharge
> current, not just temperature.
>
> bye,
> Said

I think the situation is somewhat better than that.  I'm looking at my
LPRO-101.  It's about 18-watts while warming up, but once the physics
package is up to temp and locked, the power consumption drops to about
5-watts.  The larger rubidium modules are probably more power hungry,
but the small onces aren't so bad once they are running.  You still
might need a trunk full of batteries though...

jeff