[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Dec 13 23:06:30 UTC 2007

David Forbes wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> Perhaps then this trick should be used with an ovenized oscillator of lesser quality,
> since it sounds like the E1938A will work just fine if stuck in the snow.
>
> Not that I have one on hand to test, anyways.

David

Putting an OCXO in your pocket may cause problems with
vibration/movement modulating the OCXO frequency.
Maybe you should stick an accelerometer in you pocket and measure the
the resultant acceleration likely to be experienced by the OCXO.
Failing that stick the OCXO in you pocket and see if its stability is
significantly degraded.

You will find that something in a more rugged case like an FTS1200 is
both cooler and safer (exploding parts should remain inside the housing).

Bruce