[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Dec 13 23:08:00 UTC 2007

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> > Why would it be very hard? For his purpose it should easy enought to measure
> > the frequency shift which he would allow, and achieving the necessary shift in
> > temperature to get the ball-park aspect should not be too hard to acheive in a
> > home enviorment and a thermometer.
> >
> > I am sure the E1938A would pull it off.
> >
> > Talking about E1938A. Where can I find one???
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Magnus

Hej Magnus

The test sheet on a typical (sample size of 1) E1938A test sheet states
among other things
Max slope near 0.T,     0 mHz/degree. (ie tempco < 1E-13/degree)
So in practice, depending on what equipment is available, the
measurement of the frequency change is likely to be extremely challenging.
At best it may be possible to state that the frequency change is less
than 1E-11 (substitute actual measurement resolution/accuracy limits).

For an E1938A try bidding on one of  the Australian sourced Z3815A's
that keep popping up on ebay (however bids are relatively high).

Bruce