[time-nuts] Entry Level Systems Revisited

Michael J. Dyer michael.dyer at digitaleragroup.com
Thu Dec 13 23:15:16 UTC 2007

I've been researching an entry-level system for my own learning and
experimentation.   Back in May of 2006 there was a thread that posed the
question "What's a good entry-level time reference system?".  At that time
there were several options suggested  (partial list):

-          A local frequency standard (HP 10811A, HP10544A, Efratom Rubidium
Standard)

-          A frequency/time interval counter  (HP 5334A/B, HP 5345A, HP
5335A with high-stability options, HPIB nice to have, 1.3 Ghz options nice
to have)

-          GPS or other radio reference (Morotola M12+T or UT+ , Garmin
GPS-18 LVC)

-          GPS to NTP converter if doing NTP

After a bit more searching in the archives I also ran across the Trimble
Thunderbolt (and newer Thunderbolt E).  I'm thinking of the following:

-          Skip the local frequency standard and opt for a high-stability
counter

-          Trimble Thunderbolt or another GPS option

-          Nice clock that I can drive with 1 PPS (suggestions please)

I would be very interested to see what type of entry-level system
suggestions there are after the question was first posed a year and a half
ago.

//MDYER