[time-nuts] Using a Vectron OCXO 5mhz oscilator with ntpd

Todd Eddy vr at vrillusions.com
Fri Dec 14 00:11:54 UTC 2007

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>>
>> Yeah I've looked into that.  My problem is the server I want to do the
>> really precise measurement of is located in a secure datacenter that
>> they're not going to let me drill a hole in the roof just so I can get
>> really really accurate time when really ntp works just fine.  I may end
>> up looking into it at home, but even if I run it at home and then use it
>> as a source for the server at the datacenter you then introduce the
>> network latency into it and I pretty much lose any benefit of using a
>> local time source.  That's why I saw this little crystal oscilator and
>> thought that could be used for a PPS signal.
>>
>> For the curious: http://rikku.vrillusions.com/ntp/ (i have a bunch of
>> "noselect" ones I'm just evaluating network latency and such)  So
>> basically just from ntp servers it stays under 1msec usually although it
>> has been a little more bumpy recently.
>>

> What about making use of cell phone network timing?
> Can you actually receive/use a cell phone within the data center?
>
> Bruce

cell phone coverage is great.  I think we have a cell tower on the roof
of a building next door or something.  I looked into that and asked for
quotes on one and it was around a US$1,000 for a CDMA time source.
Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.  I think that really turned me off
because I figured if one of these were a grand, probably anything else
would be.