[time-nuts] Super Regulator links

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Dec 14 03:34:20 UTC 2007

> Can you explain to me the use of fast recovery diodes if you are going
> to put capacitors across them?

I can see using fast-recovery diodes if you want to rectify the output of a
switching supply, to limit the losses.  Ordinary 1N400x diodes start to run
very hot above a few kHz.  In a switcher, it would be reasonable to use
fast-recovery diodes with capacitors to control both EMI and loss.

But yeah, it's hard to see the point in a 50/60-Hz supply.  Schottkys have
less forward voltage drop, I guess, so maybe the idea is to use smaller
diodes/heat sinks for a given supply current.

-- john, KE5FX