[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Dec 14 19:32:29 UTC 2007

> There's just that minor problem with the snow melted by the E1938A.

That was mostly in jest, but on the other hand, if you want a stable
temperature snow can be a useful tool.

It often comes in large quantities.  A E1938A isn't going to melt many cubic
meters per day.

Snow is often a very good insulator.  Toss a couple of shovels full on top to
avoid the sun or cold night sky.

I doubt if would useful for a long term solution, but it might work for a run
that's only a week or two.

> Snow is stable at its transition temperature.  Below that, it varies
> with  the ambient temperature.  Snow temperatures in Greenland are
> often near -40  degrees.

Yup.  I was thinking of not-crazy temperatures where the unit you are trying
to keep at a stable temperature would warm the snow up to melting.

I'm not sure what would happen if the ambient temperature is super cold.
After a while you would have a big block of ice.  Ice conducts much better
than snow.  I can't do the math, but I'll bet for a given ambient temperature
(assuming an infinite block of ice) there is some amount of heat the unit
would have to put out to keep its puddle from freezing.