GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sun Dec 16 18:40:14 UTC 2007

ronaldheld at gmail.com writes:

i  thought of tha balcony option. The balcony as an overhang which
effectively  blots out the other half of ths sky not covered by the
building. I cannot  hang any antenna over the railing or on it(in my
lease and enofrce;I  asked), plus there are birds and squirrels which
would get into it.
Any  other suggestions?

-------------------------------
I can't quite picture the overhang arrangement, but when you consider that  a
variety of manufacturers supply GPS antennas that are approx 1 1/2 inches
square by 1/2 inch deep I'd be very surprised if you couldn't attach  one of
these somewhere outside without it noticing.
They may not have the filtering etc of a "proper" timing antenna but they'd
do the job and certainly be a lot less obtrusive.

Alternatively, I've used one of these quite succesfully on an internal
window sill and am running an Odetics timing antenna just propped up on the same
window sill right now.
That's feeding an Oncore UT+ timing module in a test jig and  tracking 6 of
the 8 satellites it can see.
Oncore modules, sometimes complete with a small antenna, are regulalrly on
Ebay quite cheaply so why not invest a small amount and run some tests?
You might find the results are better than expected but even if not  you'd at
least have some definite answers.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR