[time-nuts] Time Transfer

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sun Dec 16 21:27:16 UTC 2007

Hi Dave:

The HP 114 is a 1 PPS trigger generator with offset and was made for use with
WWV, see: http://www.prc68.com/I/TF_rack.html
The audio from an HF receiver is fed to the V input on the scope and you can
adjust the sweep speed as fast as propagation will allow.  The 114 time offset
moves the trace left or right.  Then watching how long it takes to drift a
division you can see what your house standard is doing.

An interesting way to use HF for time transfer would be to use a chirp based
system.  Most chirp transmitters now use GPS control of their timing.  Chirp is
used to determine what the propagation is between a given transmitter and
receiver.  Since the chirp receiver knows exactly what the propagation is it
should make for a more acccurate HF timing receiver.
http://www.prc68.com/I/RCS-5A.shtml

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com