[time-nuts] Antennas in apartments

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Dec 17 18:43:41 UTC 2007

Neon John wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:57:49 -0800, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

>> Talk to your building superintendent.  Offer to provide NTP service to the
>> whole complex if he will help you setup a GPS antenna.
>
> I can see it now..... "Duh, how's this NTP stuff gonna help me unstop the toilet in
> 23?" :-)
>
>> What do people who want satellite TV do?
>
> Federal law says that landlords cannot prohibit satellite TV dishes. Another one of
> those "best laws money can buy".  The implication for a solution to the GPS antenna
> problem is fairly obvious.....

I think you need to read the law a little bit more carefully!

What the law says, as I read it, is that you can put up radio,
TV, or satellite antennas on your own property, regardless of
covenants, home owners association rules, or zoning ordinances.
But, if the property isn't yours, or isn't available for your
exclusive use, it is up to the owner (or controlling authority)
to decide whether you may or may not.

The FCC's website has a Q&A section where they specifically answer
a question about putting up an antenna that extends beyond the
apartment/townhouse deck into the air space.  They say that the
law only controls what is allowed within the confines of the deck,
and not what is allowed in the air space beyond the deck.

-Chuck