[time-nuts] Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Dec 18 00:09:31 UTC 2007

Hi Ronald:

Some people interested in the WAAS aspect of GPS have used the common Ku band
satellite TV dishes as reflectors and mounted a GPS antenna at the focus (where
the Ku band antenna would normally be located.

The claim is that it works well even though the polarity of the reflected GPS
signal is backwards.  You probably can get one of these antennas and it's mount
for free since there's millions of them all over the world.  The neat thing is
that you can have it sitting back on the balcony pointing at the clear opening
(remember it's an offset feed so the dish needs to point much lower than where
the dish faces.)

You would only have a partial sky view but if your balcony faces any direction
except North, they you should get a lock some of the time.  Note there are no
GPS sats within 30 degrees of the North or South pole so a GPS antenna pointed
up to the North in the northern hemisphere will not see too many sats.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.precisionclock.com