[time-nuts] means of calibrating/verifying Ru with GPS

swingbyte swingbyte at exemail.com.au
Sat Dec 22 07:18:18 UTC 2007

Hi everybody,
I mentioned some time ago that I had an Ru 10MHz source and I would like
to calibrate it.  I have an hp 5335 counter and a Jupiter GPS with 10kHz
output.  I was wondering if I could use the Ru 10MHz as and external
clock for the 5335 and then measure the frequency of the 10kHz gps
locked signal and adjust the Ru to read exactly 10kHz?  If I let the
5335 average the frequency input it will display 12 digits - how many of
those are reliable I'm not sure but it seems that this may be an easy
way for me to check the Ru.
Is this a viable method or am I missing something - I haven't done a lot
of research into the time keeping world yet.
Also, the model Ru I have is the Efratrom frk-h with external frequency
control.  I have had a quick read of the manual but can't find any
information on how this works.  I was thinking this might enable me to
discipline the Ru to GPS - does anyone know how this works?

Thanks for your help
Happy holidays

Tim