[time-nuts] evaluation of 5071a(hp)

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Dec 22 19:47:53 UTC 2007

 From what I remember from the years I worked
on the 5071A is that the prognosis for CBT's
in long term storage is very poor.  The Navy
had to scrap a bunch of them due to this problem.
I vaguely remember that the pressure got too high
for the ion pump to start.  If it does start, I
think ion current is an indicator of vacuum.  In
marginal cases there are tricks for starting the
ion pump.  This is all I remember hearing anecdotaly,
maybe others can chime in.  This problem is the
same as for the 5061 CBT.

Rick Karlquist N6RK