[time-nuts] analog network demise and greetings

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Sun Dec 23 13:16:41 UTC 2007

"Dave Mallery" <dave.mallery at gmail.com> wrote:
> been lurking for a while.
>
> with the demise of the nationwide analog cell network, is there to be
> a sudden influx of desirable goodies on the surplus market??
>
> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iiczkwxq1jK5IKXGCsNQkWgOHmQAD8TM1PKG0

There will always be a surplus stream of interesting stuff. But
it won't always be the stuff of previous generations of surpulus
streams.

The last big cell site upgrades resulted in a heap of Z3801A's... which
have all dried up by now. The Z3801A was nice because it was a completely
self-contained instrument. My feeling is that cellphone towers today
are run by more highly integrated systems... inside we will find
high quality GPS-disciplined oscillators being surplused, but they will not be
the same module-wise as a Z3801A. More likely to have less well
documented interfaces to the outside world, more likely to either
directly generate or
also include the synthesizers to get to the telco-desirable frequencies.

Tim.