[time-nuts] Wideband distribution amplifier

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 26 20:57:46 UTC 2007

Geraldo Lino de Campos wrote:
> I got a PTS3200 (1-3200 MHz) synthesizer, and would like to have a
> distribution amplifier for it. I couldn't find any schematics on the
> net.
>
> Since unit gain is OK for me, I´m thinking of a 50 Ohms strip with
> several GHz FETs (NE3210, for instance) in a common source
> arrangement.
>
> Any suggestions?

Geraldo

If you want low phase noise you need to:

1) Stabilise the operating current with a low noise dc feedback loop.

2) Ensure that the dc gain from the gate to the drain is low.

3) Use local RF feedback to reduce flicker phase noise.

4) Using feedforward compensation can be effective in reducing phase noise.

Selecting a device for low noise figure is doesn't guarantee low phase
noise.

Bruce