[time-nuts] Stuff I bought

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Fri Dec 28 02:39:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:30:05 -0800, Jeff Mock <jeff at mock.com> wrote:

>Smart Tweezers
>http://www.advancedevices.com/
>
>It's an RLC meter packaged in a pair of tweezers.  It's accurate and
>fast, feels good to use on the bench.  When working with SMT parts,
>particularly capacitors that typically aren't marked with values, this
>tool makes it easy to deal with tiny parts on the bench.
>
>Truth be told, this product is probably the version before the one you
>really want to own.  I've found a couple of bugs in the software and the
>industrial design should be nicer, but it's still a good product.

Oh crap!  There goes the food budget for next month..... :-)

Jeff, did you buy yours directly from them or did you locate a dealer with a better
price?

Cool gadgets...  I was trolling the local Sam's Club yesterday and saw a nifty
LaCrosse weather station on sale.  It's the Model WS-1515-IT and includes
indoor/outdoor temp and humidity, outdoor dew point, wind speed and direction plus
rainfall.  Being somewhat of a weather nut too (too many -nuts in my life!), I had to
have one.  Even after a half hour of carefully carving away at the hideous Sam's
packaging, I managed to break off one of the anemometer cups.  Damn.  Epoxy to the
rescue.

The temperature agrees with my precision TC bridge to within half a degree.  The
humidity indicator agrees with my HVAC-grade sling psychrometer (sp?) within 5%.
Sticking the anemometer out the window of the car, it agrees exactly with my GPS,
plus or minus my ability to hold a steady speed to within 1 mph.  I haven't tried
calibrating the rain gauge yet.

Not bad for under $50.

John
--