[time-nuts] Stepping up the output of an OCXO

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Feb 4 14:03:03 UTC 2007

Dr Bruce Griffiths said the following on 02/04/2007 02:32 AM:

> My calculations using the component values in the circuit indicate that
> the TADD-1 noise figure should be about 19dB and its corresponding phase
> noise floor should be lower than -160dBc/Hz. when the input signal is
> +7dBm or greater. So unless you had an unusually noisy set of opamps
> and/or resistors the measurement setup phase noise floor probably
> exceeds that of the TADD-1 by around 20dB.

Thanks for running that calculation, Bruce!  I am somewhat suspect of
our test setup as the fellow who owned the 3048 had never done this type
of measurement before.  I also don't recall just what the input level
was for our test.

In the next month or so, I'm hoping to rerun the measurements with an
easier-to-use, if not actually better, phase noise system and will
report those results.