[time-nuts] 10544A Oscillator Question

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Feb 11 04:07:37 UTC 2007

I can confirm that the 10811 is guaranteed to work
in any 10544A socket.  In particular, the 10811 is
designed to never draw more current than a 47 ohm
resistor, to be backward compatible with the 10544.
I don't know of any particular reason why a 10811
shouldn't work in a 10544 socket, except that some
instruments played shenanigans with the power supply
during warmup.  For example, the 5334A has a very
wimpy power supply that sags down to 12V or so when
the 10811 is warming up.  The 10544 may or may not
work on such a low oven voltage.  For the 5334B, I
redesigned the power supply to make it stiffer.  There
is probably little or no chance of damaging the
oscillator, so you might as well try it and see what
happens.

Rick Karlquist N6RK