[time-nuts] TAPR Open HArdware License -- Public Comment Period

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Feb 12 17:11:58 UTC 2007

Thanks for that pointer, Dave; I ran across that link early on.
Unfortunately, that project appears never to have gone anywhere.  Note
that the page was last updated in 2000!

I also looked at the Freedom CPU license referenced there.  It appears
to have been dead since 2000 as well.  It appears to focus mainly on
semiconductor design, which raises a bunch of different issues (much
more like software and copyright) than traditional hardware.  And,
unfortunately, the published draft is more discussion points than actual
license wording.  (There may very well be a good reason to develop a
license for VHDL and similar hardware description works since they don't
totally fit into the software license model, but that's not what the OHL
tried to do.)

John
----