[time-nuts] TAPR Open HArdware License -- Public Comment Period

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Feb 12 17:54:09 UTC 2007

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <45D0A6AD.2080306 at febo.com>, John Ackermann N8UR writes:
>
>> Well, I wasn't getting paid anything, so my incentive was to make it
>> short. :-)  It's less than three pages long with a normal font and margins.
>>
>> For what it's worth, GPL v2 (including preamble) is 2970 words.  The OHL
>> is 1244.
>
> critter phk> wc /usr/src/share/examples/etc/bsd-style-copyright
>       27     226    1406 /usr/src/share/examples/etc/bsd-style-copyright

Yup, but the BSD license, much as I like it for many applications,
doesn't do the things we were trying to accomplish.  I will openly admit
that we were trying to emulate the GPL framework rather than the BSD
approach.

Anyway, I buy your point that short is good, but I think the current
document is about as short as it can be without losing the essential
points we were trying to make.  Trying to tweak the BSD license just
wouldn't work (among other things, copyright is the least important
aspect of a hardware license; dealing with patents is a much bigger
deal, and the BSD license doesn't even contemplate that).

John