[time-nuts] Thunderbolt GPSDO

N3IZN at aol.com N3IZN at aol.com
Tue Feb 13 17:10:54 UTC 2007

I used the "Contact Seller" button and asked him where the units came from.
He confirmed they were from the same E911 box I got mine from. He must of got
that pallet I was trying to get! @#$%

Any ways here are my comments on them all though I'm a newbie at  this.

Mine used a +12, two +5 and a -7 VDC. I know the manual says the thunder
bolt requires a -12 but mine had a -7 on it. Maybe the universal power supply in
the box it came with only had a -7 so that is what they used? I built a power
 supply from salvaged parts, all but the negative voltage regulator.

I'm not sure of the power plug connection. It is a 7 pin(?) in line
connector. I would try to include those if possible.

The GPS in is a "F" type female. Mine had a short jumper with F male and  TNC
female so that is what I used.

The data out is Trimble propriety and you have to use their software. It's
free off their website and I downloaded 2. The first one monitors the GPS
functions, the other sync your PC clock.

After I got it set up I used the software to enter a mode ( the  name escapes
me) that lets it finds it self. The 10 Mhz appeared to be locked up  in about
15~20 minutes and after about an hour I figured out you then had to  tell it
to remember where it was. After that from power up it takes 4 minutes to  lock.

I have mine for a few weeks now and I use it to sync a 10 Ghz transverter.
I've only made 1 contact and he said it was right on the money frequency  wise
and did not drift. I since have been searching for beacons but only found 1
so far. An activity day is coming up in a few weeks and hope to get more use
out  of it.

Sorry if the email is a little drawn out, but I'm a newbie. If any one has
any questions feel free.

Oh, and in case any one is wondering. I'm in no way connected with the
seller. I just recognized the unit and thought I share my experience with one. I
have tried to find more but so far no luck.

Chris