[time-nuts] Carrier phase tracking

Rob Kimberley time.bandit at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 19 17:55:49 UTC 2007

There is an advantage in more channels...as in the main these are navigation
GPS receivers designed to work in all environments ( i.e. stuck on the
inside of your windscreen/windshield), and with all sorts of obscuration
problems. Having more processing channels does help give best chance of best
fix.

Interestingly, no one has mentioned the Augmentation systems like WAAS or
EGNOS where wide area correction data is transmitted down from INMARSAT to
improve nav accuracy. Primarily aimed at improved aircraft navigation
systems, it has a benefit for timing users. Zyfer have done some work in
this area, and I'll dig out a copy of the info and put it on my web site,
and post the link.

Rob Kimberley