[time-nuts] Carrier phase tracking

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Feb 19 21:30:53 UTC 2007

From: "Rob Kimberley" <time.bandit at btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Carrier phase tracking
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:55:49 -0000

> There is an advantage in more channels...as in the main these are navigation
> GPS receivers designed to work in all environments ( i.e. stuck on the
> inside of your windscreen/windshield), and with all sorts of obscuration
> problems. Having more processing channels does help give best chance of best
> fix.

Indeed. We tend to be concentrated about our well-placed antennas (eh... well,
we should have that, right?).

> Interestingly, no one has mentioned the Augmentation systems like WAAS or
> EGNOS where wide area correction data is transmitted down from INMARSAT to
> improve nav accuracy. Primarily aimed at improved aircraft navigation
> systems, it has a benefit for timing users. Zyfer have done some work in
> this area, and I'll dig out a copy of the info and put it on my web site,
> and post the link.

Each WAAS signal tracked consumes another channel. If you look at the
allocation tables, there is actually ALOT of channels allocated for WAAS and
pseudolites. The signal structure is similar enought for allowing fairly easy
integration into receivers, which is kind of the point. :)

Cheers,
Magnus