[time-nuts] carrier phase tracking GPS receiver

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Feb 20 00:12:57 UTC 2007

Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Didier
>
> Typically with a good local oscillator you can do even better than that,
> around 1E-11 in 1 sec is achievable and has been achieved.
> Even with the on board TCXO typically 3E-11 or so in 1s is achieved.
>
> Bruce

I don't understand how such good variance can be achieved without some
method of electronic frequency control on the TCXO (unless the TCXO does
have EFC)?

Otherwise, we would be back to the case where the receiver would
approximate the position of the PPS by skipping pulses, and we would
have the typical 40nS jitter (assuming a 25 MHz clock)

I am more puzzled now :-)

Didier