[time-nuts] OT: transfer of 3 GHz via fiber optic

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Feb 21 01:28:03 UTC 2007

My understanding is that the immediate application is for fixed
frequency, but my friend's products include some that are frequency
agile, and he would like to be able to leverage the technology
development across his product line.

In the agile application, I do not know how fast it must switch
frequency, and by how much. I am still waiting for that information.

It is for a coherent doppler radar system, so it must be clean and
stable in the short term. Long term drift can be relatively easily
corrected in the receiver processor.

I do not know his specs yet, but some doppler radar amplifiers I make
must have spurs <70 dBc between PRF lines, including switching frequency
and line frequency spurs. Broad band noise and close-in noise are not a
problem with my amplifiers, because they are usually masked by the LO
phase noise. But, my business is typically for the military, so the
environmental requirements, and cost, are usually not comparable to this
commercial application.

Didier