[time-nuts] OT: transfer of 3 GHz via fiber optic

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Feb 21 01:41:00 UTC 2007

Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Didier Juges wrote:
>
>> Bruce,
>>
>> The more I read the specs, the more obvious it becomes. I did not
>> realize how jittery these things are.
>>
>> I am still trying to get more info on how clean the LO has to be, but I
>> am pretty sure it will be close to telecom specs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Didier
>>

> Didier
>
> One of the biggest problems with RF over fibre (google ROF ) occurs when
> the RF is modulated as the linearity of photonics systems isn't that great.
>
> Bruce

Bruce,

I have read about this, noise performance also is not good for analog
transmissions, causing very limited dynamic range.

That's probably why they use either FM or digital coding in just about
all applications.

I just did not think the jitter would be so bad, even with a laser
transmitter.

In my case, we are just trying to send a reference signal, but it must
be clean, so unless a clean-up PLL is used, forget about fiber.

Thanks,

Didier