[time-nuts] Article: Regulations focusing on backdating have prompted corporations to pursue technical solutions centered around time synchronization to eradicate the practice

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Thu Feb 22 05:03:02 UTC 2007

Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:

>> Not sure what your point is.
>>
>> /jared
>>
> Jared
>
> Just ensuring that the computer clock is accurate, doesn't prevent
> anyone from tampering with the file timestamps as well as the
> documentation itself.
> Most, if not all, fixes using technology such as ntp servers etc., can
> be circumvented.
>
> Bruce
>
> _________
Bruce,

I think the idea behind the proposed regulation is to make accurate time
stamping of documents so pervasive and universal that changing a single
or a few document(s) would be easily spotted, and changing all linked
documents would be impractical. It would reinforce the chain-of-custody
evidence, from an IT standpoint. I am sure the IT people are thrilled at
the prospect of getting subponeas for the purpose of tracking documents
based on time stamps...

With most documentation in modern corporations being stored on network
devices and backed up to various devices (in the US, Sarbanne-Oxley puts
such stringent requirements on financial and IT departments of public
corporation with regard to record keeping, it's actually absurd), it
will soon be impractical even to know how many copies of your documents
there are, and where they are.

A way to keep honest people honest, and the criminals, well, ...

Didier