[time-nuts] New pics of RFTG-m-Rb, and some comparison details

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Mon Jan 1 03:08:46 UTC 2007

David,

Your thinking pretty much along the same lines as me from your post.

FYI, I didn't mean the XO itself, I meant the "XO module" (specifically the
GPS/PPS signal).

There is also a "RFTG-u REF 0" on eBay, however the picture is so poor I
can't make out all the connections. But it too has the alarm, 24V,
Interface, RS-485/1PPS, and a pair of SMA connections. It has one additional
DB9 connection (that I can't read, I think it might be another Interface).
The function of the unit itself is unimportant, but this just illustrates
the system is modular and probably signaling between modules is very basic
since they are all the same size / connections.

I agree with you that the RB has to be disciplined / adjusted somehow, and
not by opening the chassis. Just from the design of the shell it is obvious
that it is not meant to be opened regularly, definitely not in the field,
and there is no easy access to the RB adjustment screw (especially if the
unit was in the open-frame chassis and powered on).

BTW, did anyone else's RFTG smell like a stinky old sock, or a gym locker
room? Pee-yew!

Happy New Year everyone, this is going to be my last post for the year. :)

Jason