[time-nuts] Interesting white elephant on *bay

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Tue Jan 2 06:13:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 09:57:12PM -0800, John Miles wrote:
> Looks like it needs some kind of dongle in order to operate, which is
> (hopefully) missing...

	It has a standard connector for the keyloader for loading the
P/Y crypto keys since it can simulate the P/Y signal too.   Obviously
coming by one of these keyloaders if you are not government might be a
bit problematic, though I suppose the thing without keys is not
classified per se...

	I have no idea of whether it would be possible to load random
keys in (that met the parity check) and also load them into a GPS to
match, I suspect the tapes from NSA are in a specific format not
published outside the classified world, however.    Obviously loading
the current real working set would be very hard, but not necessary for
many evil uses of this thing since C/A receivers ignore the actual P/Y
code and wouldn't know the difference and not very many P/Y receivers
are in circulation.

	Of course it isn't clear to me what percentage of an entire 10
channel GPS simulator the box advertised actually is....

--
   Dave Emery N1PRE,  die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in