[time-nuts] Tymserver 2100 - Adding a LPRO Rb RE: time-nuts Digest, Vol 30, Issue 6

Jensen, Britt bjensen at usg.com
Wed Jan 3 00:05:14 UTC 2007

Christopher,

I called Symmetricom about this too, and got a little further- the tech
support guy told me he thought it was a Trimble ACE module.

I found an ACE-ii module in a surplus cellular survey receiver. When I
first put the module in and started up the 2100, I'd navigate down the
menu to GPS Health and it would always report 'GPS Engine Busy'. I knew
the module was fine, because the survey receiver worked; it had a serial
output that kicked NMEA strings out. I found a ACE-iii technical manual
on Trimble's website and it of course described the 3 different
protocol's that the ACE could be configured for (NMEA, TSIP and TAIP). I
figured it was a protocol issue and I chose TSIP to try because it had a
command to set the clock to over-determined mode(OD). This has been some
time ago (over a year I think), but I'm pretty sure that's the protocol
that worked for me. I simply built a 232 driver and used the Trimble
utility to change my module from NMEA to TSIP (or maybe HyperTerm, don't
quite recall, as I used all the utilities from Trimble and HyperTerm to
flip modes). Anyway, go find a ACE module and set it to TSIP and I bet
you'll be fine. My '2100-I' model has been up and working fine for the
last year.

Don't forget you need a pigtail for the antenna- The provided hole on
the back panel is for a SMA connector.

I have recently bought a 2100-GPS model that doesn't work, but it did in
fact have a ACE-ii in it. Also a StarTime display I bought had one in it
too. I can take pictures of both this weekend if you like. I'll be
dis-assembling the defective 2100-GPS unit to determine more about the
unit relative to adding the Rb oscillator.

Anyone like to host the images for me?

Regards,
Britt