[time-nuts] Positional accuracy of the M12+T

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Thu Jan 4 10:15:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 22:18:58 +0000, "Poul-Henning Kamp"
<phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

>But for a band closer to the poles, from roughly 66 to 56 latitude,
>where we have no sats in half the plane and only occasionally pick
>up signals across the polar hole in the constellation, the ellipsoide
>actually isn't one, and its axis are not aligned with the coordinates
>we care for.

I typed a long message but hit a key sequence that deleted it. ARRGH!

Short form:

Does the relative GPS position accuracy between position and height vary
with latitude?

If a receiver gives +-3 meter lat/lon and +- 10 meter height at the
equator, as you move it toward the poles, seems the lat/lon accuracy
will get worse. Does the height accuracy get worse at the same rate or
some other?

Just curious. Seems like the group that might have an answer.

Related: For a typical position oriented GPS, how much worse is height
accuracy than surface position at mid latitudes?

Always ready to learn more.

-Rex