[time-nuts] Z3801A - notes on the hp58533a GPSDO

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Fri Jan 12 21:29:15 UTC 2007

Regarding the Thunderbolt, I got some information from the Trimble sales
manager for timing products:

The Thunderbolt was designed and built in-house (of course from parts
bought from outside sources). So, the software and IP are Trimble, not
OEM'd. Any resemblance with the Symmetricom 58540A unit is pure
coincidence (or more likely purposely made to look the same in order to
try and capture some of the same market, since the Thunderbolt was there
first).

A cursory look at the HP 53540A and Thunderbolt specs, particularly for
holdover, will confirm the units are not the same, not even in the same
league (Thunderbolt: +/- 1uS/2 hours, HP 53540A: 100uS/1 hour, which is
hard to believe)

The engineers who designed it are still at Trimble and are churning
current Trimble timing products.

Didier KO4BB