[time-nuts] Giove A has become "official" now.

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Mon Jan 15 17:29:26 UTC 2007

Got Qwoob?

On 15-Jan-07 at 17:17 Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>In message <008601c738c7$a6305060$0a00a8c0 at Inspiron>, "Jason Rabel"
>writes:
>
>>XM & Sirrius radio relied on a subscriber model, that nobody thought would
>>work since local FM stations were free to listen to. I know this isn't an
>>apples-to-apples comparison, but people thought that those satellite
>>subscription services would bomb too.
>
>I'm not saying that the subscription based service will bomb, I'm
>just wondering where all the subscribers are going to come from.
>
>When XM and Sirrius went public with their ideas, a lot of people
>said "I want that because shortwave sucks here" and stuff like that.
>Not enough people to instantly make good on the businesscase, but
>enough to show that it was not stillborn.

	<snippety>

	Actually, in my case, the reasons were twofold. First, I was utterly fed up with the predigested and homogenized pablum that the local rock stations kept churning out in their playlist. Don't even get me started on the nauseous ads, the number of which always seemed to be increasing.

	The second factor was that I was very tired of hunting for a decent music station every time I went out of the local area on a long road trip. I chose Sirius (only one 'r') because they had the better channel lineup (to me), AND a lifetime subscription deal which, according to my math, pays for itself in a little over three years.

	Satellite radio is an excellent option for anyone who does lengthy road trips, I think.

	As for Galileo, just to keep on-subject: No real opinion here. I will use what works for me (GPS), and that does not require a subscription fee (GPS). ;-)

	Keep the peace(es).

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech do/t c=o=m
"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped with surreal ports?"