[time-nuts] RoHS crap

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Jan 16 00:24:47 UTC 2007

For those interested, google "tin wiskers" and look up the NASA web site
that has lots of good pictures. It is scary to think people actually
build equipment with that stuff.

Needless to say, in my business (military electronics), nobody wants to
hear about lead free solder. The prime contractors and the military
customers simply don't want it in their planes/ships. They don't care if
it's the law or what not. But, as an equipment manufacturer, we are
stuck very often with lead-free parts, simply because most part
manufacturers and distributors don't want to carry two product lines,
and for those few that still do, they make it very non-attractive to buy
SnPb parts (price and lead time goes up), but that's OK, we get lead
free parts which we solder with SnPb after adjusting the profile. That
seems to work. Interestingly, none of our customers has asked (yet) to
requalify any product because we now use Pb free parts... I expect a
different ball game if we go to Pb free soldering.

It is true that for a lot of the purely commercial stuff, with very
limited life expectancy (think digital camera or cell phone, who is
using one that's more than 2 years old?), lead free will probably not be
a problem, but there is a certain amount of commercial gear that is
expected to last a lot longer, like a television or a stereo, land line
telephone, garage door opener and fridge for instance. These things do
not become obsolete over night (even though HDTV will try to do that)
and people have gotten used to these things lasting a long time. I would
expect a certain amount of backlash is everyone had to replace *all*
electronic equipment every 2-3 years. So, the industry, after dragging
its feet for a while, will have to adjust and come up with a workable
game plan.

Didier KO4BB