[time-nuts] 1pps PLL

geraldm at iprimus.com.au geraldm at iprimus.com.au
Tue Jan 16 04:09:00 UTC 2007

Hi nuts,

Since signing up to Time-nuts some time ago, there has been a lot of discussion
relating to GPS disciplined frequency standards. Infact, the information
is overwhelming but wonderful reading, but I must admit to some extent fragmented,
but for a reason, mostly replies.

For the past 20 years I have played with TXCO's and more recently Rubidium
frequency standards to provide my workshop and test gear with an accurate
10MHz clock with minimal phase noise and Freq drift.

In reading the many wonderful comments, suggestions and feedback and so on,
I was wondering if I could ask you all for some advice on the best way to
proceed with building a 1pps PLL so that I can lock my Rubidium FRS/LPRO/TXCO
to my Oncore M12+ or VP that is just sitting there doing nothing at the moment.

I am keen to build something myself from scratch, however some of you may
say the best way forward is to look at Brooks Shera's article and go the
whole hog. I think Brooks GPS based frequency standard is fantastic and I
am sure worth every Dollar well spent, however I am looking for something
very simple to experiment with firstly, e.g. 4046 PLL, understand 1pps and
then move up.

Don't all speak at once, no just kidding. I am looking forward to your replies.

Cheers

Gerald