[time-nuts] US considers shutting down Loran

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jan 20 04:12:17 UTC 2007

>From http://www.fcw.com/article97298-01-08-07-Web

> Norman said the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions
> (ATIS), whose membership includes all the telecom carriers in the
> country and equipment vendors, views eLoran as the "only viable
> alternative to GPS for providing [Coordinated Universal Time] of day
> and frequency accuracy that is suitable for a telecom primary
> reference source."

How good is Loran for timing?  What's the right parameter for "good"?

My straw man is that the parameter(or one of them) is the time constant on
the PLL filter and that Loran would have delays that vary by the time-of-day.
 (Maybe ground wave avoids that?)  So I'd expect Loran would be OK if you had
a Rubidium clock and could average over several days.

It might work OK as long as everybody does the same thing.

Why don't cell phone towers get their time from nearby towers and/or their
land-lines?

In general, chaining PLLs is asking for troubles.  I think there are two
cases that work well.  One is where the second PLL has a wide bandwidth so it
can track the first one.  The other is where the second PLL has a low
bandwidth so it can filter out the noise from the first one.  Either gets
ugly if you have a long chain.