[time-nuts] Concern over Daylight Saving Time

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Jan 20 16:43:53 UTC 2007

Bruce Lane wrote:
> 	What I'm getting at is that (as one example) all the systems on our network are configured to set their clock according to NTP broadcast messages that are sent from the time server (a Symmetricom/TrueTime NTS-200) on our LAN.
>
> 	This means that our systems will listen for, and set themselves to, whatever the 200 puts out as a time message, no matter what time of year it is. It is easily possible to disable the automated DST changeover on both Windows and *nix-based systems.
>
> 	So: Given that, and assuming a similar configuration, I still believe that many places will only need to make sure their time server is set correctly.

1) If the NTP server is set to UTC (standard configuration), then the
clients need to know which time zone they are in and when to change to DST.

2) If the NTP server is set to localtime, which is not a standard time
server configuration, then this server is only useful on the local net
but you don't need to mess with the clients. If you have a large local
net with disparate machines, that may be easier to manage.

It seems you are doing 2), not that there is anything wrong with that.
Just be careful when a guest plugs his laptop into your network, he may
not be configured that way and will get the wrong time.

Didier KO4BB